Open Positions: Trainee
Duties: Both seasoned applicants and those new to the job market will be considered for this employment offer of Ground Worker/Trainee. Employee growth is encouraged, and advancement opportunities are available immediately. This posting is essentially a Management Trainee position because we are currently hiring the future management team of the company to continue our steady growth. To teach, train, supervise, and manage employees in the future, you must first be able to perform the work competently and understand team dynamics, time and logistical estimation, and scheduling efficiency. We teach these aspects of running a tree company on a daily basis, to help our employees grow personally and professionally.
- Loads and unloads trucks with logs, brush and debris often weighing 25 lbs. or more; feeds brush into brush chipper.
- Uses ropes & winches to lower limbs and equipment.
- Keeps work area clean and orderly.
- Carries, lays out and stows materials, tools and equipment at work site.
- Works from the ground using handsaws, poles saws.
- Drives trucks or operates other equipment as assigned.
- Services trucks and equipment. Keeps trucks and other assigned equipment in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Reports the need for repairs to truck and equipment to crew leader.
- Safeguards employees and public from hazards in and around the work area, staying in frequent voice communication with workers aloft.
- Helps enforce job safety practices.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Essential Job Functions: Applicants for the position of Tree Worker Trainee should be capable of learning logging practices, tree pruning, tree removal, and all aspects of residential and commercial tree service. We hire, train, and promote from within the company, and we encourage employee growth. Everyone in our company learns to climb trees and to operate lift equipment. Opportunity for advancement is unrestricted.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and have a clean DMV record.
- Be physically fit and able to regularly lift 50 pounds.
- Have the stamina to work outdoors in all weather conditions while engaged in steady physical activity.
- Must be able to learn to climb trees.
- Have excellent communication skills and a positive team attitude.
- Must be able to hear verbal instructions from a distance.
- Must be able to learn to operate an aerial lift truck and self-loading log truck.
- Willing and able to pass the written test for a commercial driver's license within 30 days of hire and obtain commercial driver’s license within 90 days of hire.
- Must be available for full-time, long-term work. This is not a part-time position.
Compensation: Starting compensation for someone not yet experienced in the tree industry will begin at the first step of $3,120 per month with several pay steps leading to $4,056 per month; based on an hourly wage, in a 48 hour work week including overtime pay. Upon completion of training to become a certified tree care safety professional, compensation increases to a range between $4,160 - $7,280 per month. Managers and estimators earn significantly more than this top range, often in a 60 hour work week.
During the probationary period, each new Trainee is required to learn and develop the ability to drive/operate all equipment within the company inventory. Safety, accountability, attention to detail, and a strong sense of integrity are important. This is a very physically demanding job, and hours vary with length depending on job schedules. Significant overtime and additional work is available, often mandatory.
Ideal Candidates Are:
- Stable and career-minded
- Punctual and reliable
- Self-motivated, responsible, and trustworthy
- Able to provide exceptionally detailed attention to customer service
- Able to follow complex directions
- Enjoys, and readily learns new skills
- Solution oriented when facing work challenges
- Willing to become a certified arborist
- A commercial driver's license
- The ability to fluently speak both English and Spanish
TO APPLY: Please complete the Employment Application online or download the application form and submit a cover letter and your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. On the subject line of your email, please enter the job title and your name. Your cover letter should briefly explain your related job experience and also tell us more about you and why you’re interested in this position. Your application should contain a complete employment history including education and professional training. Successful candidates are required to pass a drug test and a pre-employment physical prior to a formal offer of employment. For positions that require driving skills, please have your DMV printout and valid identification with you if you are invited for an interview.
"Fine Tree Care went above and beyond my expectations! We had a huge Douglas fir fall on our inlaw unit during the terrible storms. Jeff and his crew came in with an enormous crane and lifted the tree off the house, disposed of all the wood, branches and debris and ground up the stump. When I came back the next day, I couldn't believe how great the place looked! If it wasn't for the tarp on the roof and the damage done to the house, you wouldn't have known a tree fell. They secured a tarp to the roof, put all of the landscaping back in it's place (once they removed the gigantic stump) and completely cleaned up everything. I was SO impressed and am recommending them to everyone I talk to." ~ Carol D., Rohnert Park